8 Common Drinks and Foods to Help Relieve Asthma
1. Ginger and Thyme Essential Oil in TeaAlthough ginger can be ground up and added to the tea, buying a oil like doterra thyme or ginger essential oil to add to tea or inhaled through a diffuser can really help open up the airways and reduce the inflammation in the lungs that cause asthma attacks. Although eucalyptus essential oil can also help with asthma, do not use it during an attack.
2. Water With Lemon JuiceDrinking a tablespoon of water with two tablespoons of freshly squeezed lemon juice has also worked for some people. Be sure to repeat this every night as it takes some time for the effects to show. Some have also used this mixture while having an attack to good effect.
3. CoffeeHot and strong coffee can make an immediate effect on closed airways and can let air pass through easier. No milk and sugar should be used as that can increase the phlegm build up along the throat and make it harder to breathe. Make sure the coffee you use is very strong.
4. Water With Salt and Baking SodaAdding a teaspoon of salt and a pinch of baking soda to a cup of warm water and running it through your nose over a sink or toilet can also open up the airways and let more air through to the lungs. The temperature of the water needs to be just right to avoid burning yourself or being uncomfortable with cold water running through your nose.
5. OnionsA great way to reduce inflammation, Onions can be eaten raw or cooked to help loosen up the airways. Try to include it in some dishes when you make your lunch or dinner.
6. Spicy FoodsChilies and peppers can help produce fluids in the mouth, lungs and throats that will help dilute the phlegm build up and help remove it by coughing. Peppers also contain anti inflammation agents that help widen passageways to help making breathing easier.
7. SalmonSalmon is said to contain omega 3 fatty acids like sardines and tuna that will help strengthen the lungs so that they can deal with contaminants better. This is a good way to help both people with asthma and those without it to increase the vitality of their respiratory system.
8. Orange JuiceOrange juice, which contains vitamin C helps keep the lining of the lungs healthy and people with asthma generally have a deficiency in the vitamin and a few glasses of orange juice a day can really help.
Use these remedies at home and they will help in reducing your discomfort and attacks. However, be sure to seek advice from a doctor to make sure none of these items react badly with your medicines.
By Emmanuel Gabriel